A protein treatment is an essential part of natural hair regimen as our hair is made from protein. There are plenty of conditions that could damage your hair and strip out its natural proteins, and once in a couple of months, you might need to replenish its protein back.
Exposure to different environmental conditions (sun, wind, dust, etc.), excessive manipulation, and product residues make your hair lose its protein structure, and might lead your hair to breakage, dryness, split ends, or shrinkage. If you experience those situations often, it might be an indication that your hair needs a protein treatment.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
What is Protein Treatment?
A Protein treatment could be a hair mask or a conditioning treatment that infuses protein to your hair strands. It binds the proteins to each of your strands and strengthens and protects them from damage, breakage or split ends. Often a protein treatment is assumed as deep conditioning; however, deep conditioning only adds moisture to your strands, not proteins. Treating your natural hair with both of them alternatively provides your strands adequate protein & moisture balance.
Benefits of a Protein Treatment
Protein treatments offer many benefits for natural hair.
- Nourishment: – The main benefit of protein treatment is adding protein to your hair strands and replenishing lost protein from your hair. Around 90% of our hair is comprised of proteins; thus, a protein treatment helps your hair to restore its natural proteins and gain back its natural beauty.
- Makes your hair thick and long: – A Protein treatment adds extra volume and length to natural hair.
- Prevents damage and breakage: – The proteins that are infused in your strands are designed to build a protective layer for your hair to make it strong, and free from damage, breakage and split ends.
- Makes your hair healthy: – A protein treatment keeps the balance of proteins and nutrients in your hair and making your hair healthy.
Best Protein Treatments for Natural Hair
Protein treatments come in hair masks, conditioning treatments, and protein conditioners. Basically, there are two types available; Light treatments for home treatment, and Re-constructors for serious hair damage.
Light Protein Treatments
Light Protein treatments are used for regular treatments to boost your hair and replenish lost protein. They can be done once a month or in a couple of months depending on your product usage. If your hair reaches a point of breakage but, with nothing that serious, you can apply light protein treatments to restore lost proteins. Light protein treatments can be carried out at home without the supervision of a hair care professional.
- Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor
- Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil Protein Hair Conditioner
- Hydratherma Naturals Protein Balance Leave-In Conditioner
Re-constructors for Serious Damage
If your hair is seriously damaged, broken or dry and brittle, you should consider applying re-constructor protein treatments to restore back the protein structure of your strands. Re-constructors are formulated for severe hair damage and breakage and applying them might need professional assistance for best results.
- Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor Protein-rich Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment
- Aphogee Two-step Treatment Protein for Damaged Hair
Protein treatments offer tremendous benefits in restoring and balancing your hair’s protein levels. However, they should be used sparingly, once in a couple of months, and alternating with moisturizing deep conditioners. The protein – moisture balance should be maintained to keep your hair healthy. Overdoing a protein treatment has the opposite effect, leading your hair to dryness, breakage, and damage. You should also know which protein treatment is right for your hair depending on the damage level and your product usage.